Setting up and maintaining your legal operations
The findings from the baseline measurement may lead to the establishment of the intendedlegal operations for one or more business activities. An important role is reserved for employees from their own organization. They are given certain tasks and responsibilities for performing the legal operations. Workshops for relevant employees will be put together. The findings of the baseline measurement also give direction to the compilation of business cases. The starting point is to describe:
- the characteristics of a business activity;
- the subject of the agreements to be made (with whom); and
- the object of the agreements to be made (about which).
Based on the results of the baseline measurement, a roadmap for organizing business activities can then be created and a contract library can be compiled. Prototypes are tested in business activities, after which they can be adapted and finalized. After this, the implementation, migration and operationalization are taken care of.
What is the approach?
We assume that a company itself takes care of the staffing of the legal operations. It can be a conscious choice to use our professionals to fulfill specific roles in implementing and maintaining the legal operations. We fulfil the following roles, among others:
- Preparing the implementation of the legal operations (jointly drawing up the agenda, assessing legal organization, jointly determining the change strategy and drawing up the value propositions, business cases and plans of approach);
- Fulfilling the role of project leader;
- Fulfill the role of business process coordinator for specific business activities. This often concerns HR, governance & compliance or the procurement of specific services;
- Fulfill the role of subject matter legal assessment for specific contract types; or
- Periodically assess the liability and cost risks.
Performing a role for one or more days a week is possible.
The aim of the training courses is to create and establish the support base and to determine the required change capacity of relevant employees for successfully completing a change process.
The results of the training (s) provide a basis for formulating policy and strategy to effectively organize the legal operations and thus the underlying business activities. The strategy consists of an action list with clear goals to operationalize the policy. The goals are prioritized in milestones.
Involved roles within the process
Directly involved employees such as the company administrator, the business process coordinator, the legal authority and the person authorised to sign will want to agree clear plans with management, follow sound professional and operational training and want to know who they can fall back on when necessary.
Organizing the legal operations will be different for each business activity. Scenarios for provisioning and deploying the smart contracting application are available. When managing or optimizing the legal operations, the experiences of the employees with contract types and related plans are important.
Managing the legal operations involves increasing the maturity level of the legal operation by department.
Make an appointment and discuss the right approach for your situation
Do you have questions about organizing, implementing or expanding your legal operations? Our service owner will be happy to discuss your specific needs, wishes and/or case.